Can’t sit in front of a computer screen for 8 hours straight and stay productive? Me either. But I’m too busy to take regular breaks and relax, so instead I use “break time” to squeeze in quick household chores. Here’s my favourite 5 minute chores for when you WFM and need a break.
5 Minute Chores For When You WFM and Need a Break
Like a lot of people (especially millennials), nowadays, I work entirely from home. Some people are “on the clock”, so to speak, but I’m lucky enough to run my own business. Sometimes it sucks (only get paid when I work) but for the most part, I absolutely love it. I have discovered over the years, though, that trying to sit in front of the computer all day without moving not only makes my legs stiff, it’s bad for my productivity too.
By doing chores instead of, say, playing on my phone when I take a break from work not only does it mean that at the end of the day there’s less to do, but I also benefit from moving around. A huge part of the benefit to breaks is getting up, moving, and getting away from the computer! But if you’re not sure what to do on these breaks that’s more productive that just pacing your house, here’s some ideas for quick 5 minute chores:
- Wash the dishes in your sink
- Load or unload the dishwasher
- Clean out the fridge
- Wipe down counters, cupboards, or the table
- Prep dinner
- Make a healthy snack of fresh fruit or veggies
- Empty the trash can
- Throw a load of laundry in or switch clothes to the dryer
- Fold a load
- Put away a load
- Gather all the dirty laundry in the house
- Change your bed sheets
- Hang laundry outside on a clothesline (if you have one)
- Sweep, vacuum, mop, or dust a room
- Wash walls
- Clean baseboards
- Declutter and organize something (just one cabinet, cupboard, or drawer)
- Tidy your entranceway
- Make your bed
- Wipe down the bathroom sink/counter
- Make a grocery list or meal plan
- Do a short workout
- Take a shower/get dressed
- Do a stretch or yoga routine
- Go for a 10 minute walk outside
- Tidy your desk area or office
Getting away from work for a few minutes can do a lot for your productivity and general well being, even if you use that time to complete another task. After all, just because you work from home it doesn’t mean you have all kinds of free time. With these 5 minute chores for when you WFM and need a break you can stay productive all day long.
Do you chores on your work from home breaks?